The decision to begin counseling is not an easy one and often takes some time and consideration to make. We’re glad you made it to this step and hope for the opportunity to meet with you face to face. Here are some answers to some commonly asked questions that might help you as you continue to consider setting up an appointment with one of our counselors.
Where is Impact’s office located? Impact does not have one official office but partners with churches and ministries in the greater Portland area. Currently we have appointments available in SE Portland, Tigard, Newberg, and Wilsonville.
Do you offer counseling from a distance? Yes. It is not uncommon for us to counsel people located throughout Washington and Oregon. If you live too far from Portland to come regularly but are interested in biblical counseling please contact one of our counselors to see if distance counseling might be a good fit.
How do I know if my struggle merits counseling? In short, if you feel stuck or alone counseling might be a good fit. You can find a more detailed description of the kinds things that indicate that counseling might help you at this link: Summit Counseling FAQ’s
What kinds of things does biblical counseling “work” for? It is our conviction that Scripture speaks meaningfully to every human experience. While there may be certain struggles that require a team approach with another professional, we believe that everything we face in this life happens in context of our relationship with our heavenly Father. What does it look like for us to walk together to him and with him? For him to bring order to our chaos and sing sweetly into our darkness? For us to live in humble obedience and know the blessings of being his children? Our counselors are trained to walk with you as you seek to answer these questions in the nitty gritty details of whatever struggle you are facing.
How do I get this process started?
- Go to the Our Counselors page on our website and pick which counselor you think might be the best fit for you. If you’re unsure, just pick one to contact and we can help you figure out who can serve you best.
- When you contact your counselor they will work with you to decide on a time, day, and location. If possible, have a couple options in mind as availability may be limited on certain days and locations.
- Your counselor will want to know a basic description of why you are choosing to come to counseling. It’s possible that they will refer you to another Impact counselor if they believe someone else might be more suited to your particular struggle, but it is always your choice whom you choose to schedule with.
- Fill out the Intake Form located here: Intake Form. If you can, email this to your counselor before you first session. Otherwise bring it with you when you meet.
- We’re here to help you and walk with you as you begin this process. Don’t hesitate to call or email your counselor with any questions or concerns that might arise.